|NOTICE No: MT000000667
|MODEL: Mazda MPV
|AFFECTED VINs: N/A
|SUBJECT: 2.6L pinging/detonation noise (60F & higher)
|APPLICABLE MODELS: 89-92 MPV, 89-92 B-series|
Pinging occurs during ambient temps above 60 degrees F especially when using regular unleaded fuel.
- Verify and recommend customer use premium unleaded fuel (91 octane or higher).
- Replace the ECU with the modified part # G630-18-881.
- If pinging continues, install a colder range of spark plugs (# ZFR6F-11)
- If pinging continues, try a 180 degree thermostat.
- If pinging continues, Flush carbon from combustion chamber using TOP ENGINE CLEANER.
- If pinging continues, remove head and clean carbon from pistons, head, and valves.
Control unit developed to reduce pinging, timing curve is changed.
Service part has been established (G630-18-881). Mass production change occurred April 1, 1992.
- CONSUMER NOTICE:
- The information and instructions in this notice are intended for
use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper
tools/equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain
Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by
"do-it-yourselfers." Consumers should not assume this
notice applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop
the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
consumers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership.