|NOTICE No: MT000003813
|MODEL: Mazda MPV
|AFFECTED VINs: N/A
|SUBJECT: DTC P0706
Symptoms and Conditions:
The MIL indicator may be illuminated and the O/D OFF dash indicator may be flashing. The DTC retrieved is P0706. The customer's only complaint may be the illumination of the above lights without any ATX shifting or movement concerns.
- Re-flash the Transmission Control Module (TCM) per Service Bulletin
05-011/02 issued 10/4/02, make sure the connections to the Transmission
Range (TR) Sensor are tight, and then perform Step #2
- Transmission Range Sensor (TR) adjustment procedure:
- Confirm that there is a range signal (square black box outline around
the selected gear range) when the gear shift selector is placed in each
of the 'P R N D 3 2' ranges.
- Write down the customer's radio pre-set stations on the R.O.
- Remove the battery and battery tray to gain access to the TR Sensor.
Then use jumper wires to hook up battery power to the vehicle so you can
see the TR sensor range signal
- With the IG switch in the ON position, move the gear shift lever
between the 'D' and '3' position. It requires real careful movement, but
you can get the gear shift lever between these ranges. When you are
perfectly between the two gear ranges, the range signal will turn off
(no square black box outline).
- While the gear shift lever is between the 'D' and '3' positions and
the range signal is off, loosen the two TR Sensor bolts and slowly move
the TR Sensor counterclockwise UNTIL YOU SEE THE RANGE SIGNAL TURN ON
AROUND THE 'D' POSITION. Then tighten the TR Sensor bolts in that
position (torque specs on WSM page 05-17-25).
- Move the gear shift lever to each range and confirm that the range
signal is on for each designated gear range position.
- Reinstall the battery tray and battery. Confirm the vehicle will start
in 'P' and 'N' ranges.
- CONSUMER NOTICE:
- The information and instructions in this notice are intended for
use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper
tools/equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain
Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by
"do-it-yourselfers." Consumers should not assume this
notice applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop
the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
consumers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership.