When engine at idle, a tapping or ticking noise maybe heard around the the upper timing chain area on the right bank of the engine. The noise becomes obscured with other engine sounds when engine exceeds 1500 RPM.
On the backside of the chain adjuster, the screw head holding the spring plates may break off. The result is reduced oil pressure and insufficient tension applied to right side timing chain.
- Verify Customer complaint.
- Remove timing chain cover.
- Remove right side chain adjuster only.
- Make sure that screw head and both spring plates are removed from the engine.
- Install new chain adjuster with a production date of September 10, 1999 or greater.
- Verify repair.
Use the chart below to identify lot number breakdown. Lot number stamped on modified part is 091091 or greater.