|NOTICE No: MT000003676
|MODEL: Mazda MPV
|AFFECTED VINs: N/A
|SUBJECT: Audio unit inop or will not eject CDs
|APPLICABLE MODELS: 01-02 Protege, 01-02 626, 01-02 MPV, 01-02 Miata, 01-02 Millenia|
The audio unit will intermittently stop playing and/or will not eject the CDs. Removing the room fuse or disconnecting the negative battery cable to clear the memory from the audio unit may restore its function.
This problem may be due to static electricity discharging into the audio unit and affecting it's internal circuits. Vehicle's which have this concern should be repaired by clearing the audio unit's memory and installing a ground according to the following repair procedure.
- Verify the concern.
- Remove the room fuse for one minute to allow the audio unit's memory to discharge
- Reinstall the room fuse and check for proper audio unit function.
- If the audio unit functions normally after clearing the memory, remove the assembly and install a ground according to step 4 below.
- If the audio unit does not function normally after clearing the memory, check for any stored DTCs. Follow the diagnostic trouble-shooting procedure for the indicated DTC in section 09-20 of the workshop manual. Replace the audio unit with a refurbished assembly if necessary and install a ground according to step 4 below.
- Prepare an 8-10" length of ground wire with two eyelets. Attach one end between the rear mounting post and audio unit chassis at the rear of the audio unit. Attach the other end to one of the PCM mounting bolts.
- Install the audio unit and verify proper operation.
- CONSUMER NOTICE:
- The information and instructions in this notice are intended for
use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper
tools/equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain
Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by
"do-it-yourselfers." Consumers should not assume this
notice applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop
the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
consumers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership.