|US BULLETIN No: 01-019/07
|CAN BULLETIN No: N/A
|APPLIES TO: All Models
||AFFECTED VINs: N/A
|SUBJECT: OXYGEN SENSOR REMOVAL CAUTION
|BULLETIN NOTES: APPLICABLE MODELS: 1997-2006 MPV 2006-2007 Mazda5|
- Use caution when removing oxygen sensors, otherwise the tip of the sensor may break off, which will be difficult to remove. In the worst case, both oxygen sensor and catalyst converter/exhaust pipe will need to be replaced.
Oxygen Sensor Removal Procedure
WARNING: To avoid personal injury, allow exhaust system to cool down before removing oxygen sensor.
1. Mask oxygen sensor with masking tape to prevent lubrication soaking.
2. Spray WD-40 (or equivalent) around flange area of oxygen sensor.
CAUTION: Do not soak the masked area of the sensor. Contamination on porous ceramic coating may
cause an incorrect oxygen sensor output signal.
WARNING: Avoid excess spraying. Remaining flammable substance could catch fire.
3. Wipe off excess lubricant.
4. Wait 10 minutes to allow lubricant to reach sensor threads.
5. Use SST 49 L018 001 to loosen sensor.
CAUTION: If reusing the oxygen sensor, completely remove masking tape to prevent vehicle fire.
NOTE: For anti-seizing of reused oxygen sensor, apply high concentration molybdenum disulfide grease (over 45%) to the oxygen sensor threads, then tighten according to the Workshop Manual torque specifications.
- CONSUMER NOTICE:
- The information and instructions in this bulletin are intended for
use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper
tools/equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain
Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by
"do-it-yourselfers." Consumers should not assume this
bulletin applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop
the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
consumers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership.